[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
-=DVF=- Gaming Community • View topic - UPDATED: dvf_aliens ver.2
-=DVF=- Gaming Community
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: UPDATED: dvf_aliens ver.2
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 10:27 pm 

A few last minute changes thanks to some good suggestions from Sput, but dvf_aliens is now ready :)

Download the map here:

(3.6MB)

Installation

Just extract both to your \cstrike directory and all the files will go in the right place.

Not a lot else to say except hope you all enjoy it, and here’s a few more images.

Last edited by Machiavelli on Fri Aug 09, 2002 9:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: dvf_aliens ready for download, playtest on Wesnesday 07t
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:37 am 
DVF Member
DVF Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:11 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:16 am 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

OMG bad spelling is contaygoo corntayjas kontayjes rife.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:37 am 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Well, just had a quick burst on a lan game. Its a big map innit! I like the sentry guns, (could you have made them operable from the RPC?) and the roof space is a nice touch to. See you all on it later on today then!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:41 pm 

Obviously when you first play it, it's gonna seem big just because you won't have a clue where to go. Once you learn it, it's still quite big, but both bombsites can be reached pretty quickly by both teams. I did always like medium-to-big maps with multiple routes everywhere that encourage tactical play, so they're the type of maps I tend to design ;)

I like the sentry guns, (could you have made them operable from the RPC?)

You could make them turn on and off from a button. I think there is also a track player option in the func_tank entitiy which would fit in with film, but while this works okay in HL where there's only one player for the computer to track, not sure how/if it would work with multiplayer.

I think the trouble with this would be people leaving them on, which would effectively block up that corridor (as well as hitting heavy on the entities). As it stands, they're powerful, but anyone using them is also quite vulnerable to attack from a few directions, so they should hopefully be quite balanced.

Anyway, have to see how it plays tonight :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:18 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:07 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:26 pm 
DVF Member
DVF Member

Didn't see the Wad file in the zip :(

Just given it a quick blast, very impressive Mach.

I love the little touches that made me smile and think of Ripley, Hicks and Hudson. Spent 5 mins trying to break those little blighters out of the glass cases :( and running near the lifts while the floor vibrates.

Found a few nice shortcuts and some nice hiding places :)

Seems to be strong for CT's and weak for T's at first glance, theres lots of places to hide and ambush moving T's. Its great, kind of like a reverse Assault.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:57 pm 

No the wad file isn't in the other file. If you're downloading for the first time the you need both to play.

However (this is where we get to the clever bit :nuts: ) if I decide to update it, or if anyone does happen to have the wad already, you will only need the map zip which saves you 4MB of download.

I did it mainly for Sput at the moment, thinking of his IDSN :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:35 pm 

Also, if you want you can add the following lines to your cstrike\sound\materials.txt file:

//-----------------------------------------------------------
// dethtex_spacemadness.wad
//-----------------------------------------------------------
M dtsmflooral02

Position is not important, so just stick it in anywhere after the intro. Not really important, but will just make the metallic floor texture from the custom wad sound right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:49 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nice map Mach...need to learn it a bit more..amazing how close you can walk up to the opposition and they can't see you due to the lighting effects..suits me as i just about shoot anything that moves...too much coffee at work. Feel the need to go and watch the film now. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:54 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Excellent map Mach :)

It looks incredibly nice, and all the little details make it very enjoyable to play :D And it plays well as well - get some excellent fights round that lift shaft especially \o/ It did feel a tad T biased, but that's probably down to CTs not knowing the map very well :) It's a good one for illustrating the virtues of defending rather than rushing ;)

Shame the pings seem to go a bit high when there are lots of us on :( I think it must be all the texture memory usage - the same as Torn - although as you say I dunno how that affects the server rather than the client :/ Hmm, not a serious problem anyway, they wern't too bad :)

Great map, I like it a lot :nuts: Love the T spawn, corridor, platform, facehugger lab area - feels very Aliens and looks smashin' 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:56 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Oh and I'll never forget getting sucked into the walls by an alien!!!!!!! Very nice touch :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:57 pm 

Only thing I can think of is to up some of the texture scaling, do something about the sentry guns (maybe get rid of one and reduce fire rate), cut out a few textures and then do a -wadinclude compile.

If the whole of the custom wad is being loaded that may be the problem, so this may improve performance. That's if I understand the -wadinclude command, i.e. only textures used get added to bsp, and not just wads used otherwise this wouldn't make any difference.

Might improve things a bit, but don't hold out much hope though ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:42 am 
DVF Member
DVF Member

Great map Mach, it really put me in the mood (went off to watch Aliens after we'd finished last night)

Changed my mind about the bias though :D , its very T biased. T's can get into the building and cover most major points by the time the CT's have got out of spawn.

I'm sure once we learn the map we'll learn the shortcuts and hidden passageways though (found one or two)

The Alien is a nice touch, can you actually place aliens from HL in the maps (as normal ass kicking entities ? )

Lag didn't bother me that much, a 120 ping is nothing really. My PC lag annoyed me a lot more :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 7:30 am 

Couldn't make the playtest of this last night, but had a quick look on a LAN game.

Very impressive... loads of tunnels and different routes. Loads of different
hiding places as well ;) and BIG!

I played it 3 times and found various different bits every time... love the autoguns

Nice one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:02 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:18 am 
Not as many posts as Leigh
Not as many posts as Leigh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:07 pm 

Right, new version is available here: (3.6MB)

Just the one file this time, as before just extract to your cstrike dir.

If you're planning on being on the server tonight, can you try and download this so we can give a quick test again tonight to see if it's fixed or not. Will be on around 8:00. Sorry for short notice, but most people are on broadband so should only take you a few minutes.

Should be able to tell pretty quickly if it's any better, and then switch back to standard cycle.

If it doesn't work, I'm gonna sit in the corner and mutter bad things about the Half-Life engine