[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
-=DVF=- Gaming Community • View topic - Just an idea :D -- Should we rent a server?
-=DVF=- Gaming Community
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 4:00 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 4:07 pm 
DVF Member
DVF Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 4:19 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Jib: maybe ban should be via a verified forum post (wonid, date, time

Yeah :) It would be a pretty rare thing to do, but if we do ban anyone it should be done carefully like you say. You can ban IDs for any period of time you choose, as well as a permanent ban, which would be useful for annoying PIAs (pain in the arses) without a big problem if we make a mistake :D

Jib: AFAICT, Tier A and B are the same (except for the correspondance - which would go to you anyway) but if you need to wear more feathers then thats fine by me

Well yeah I was struggling to think of anything extra to add to that list ;) :p

Mach: i.e. Sputnik first, and if he's on server, then he takes care of everything. If he isn't next person in list deals with it.

Makes sense, but the only problem is the sense of hierarchy. Which we don't have at the moment, but I suppose any form of admin control in a server would create hierchies to some extent...

Then again, every DVFer would have an equal say in thinks like basic server settings and more important things like kicking, passwording -- it's just a smaller number of people with the ability/right to do the deed.

Admin Mod

I'm still not too keen on it, but it might well be a good idea. The main problem is if Jolt allow it -- anyone seen any Jolt servers that use it? I've not :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 4:34 pm 
DVF Moderator
DVF Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 4:40 pm 
DVF Member
DVF Member

If we were to use AdnimMod (and it might not be the only one that can do this...) what about getting sponsership from a reputable online DVD company (you will know ones more than me I think here). Then they could have their name and a little bit of text fade in and out every now and again. (we could turn this off for clan matches :D)

I am sure that they would view 10 quid a month as cheaper than an ad. in their local free rag!

Just a though.

Regards

J!
I need a signature

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: JiBeRjAbEr on 2001-11-13 16:42 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 4:41 pm 
DVF Moderator
DVF Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 4:49 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 4:57 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 5:05 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 5:15 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

As another point against using admin mod ;) *IF* we get a server (hope so!) and *if* I work out how to use it (hope so!!!) then I'll try to make a little rcon menu thing. That'll make toggling FF, restarting (very important!), disabling certain weapons, and of course changing maps very easy :) The only thing I'm not totally sure about how to do is the on-screen menu part, but I'll work it out :)

I suppose we could even have different versions of it depending on the admin rights we allow each other to have? Hmm that's a bit compulcatud :o

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: Sputnik on 2001-11-13 17:44 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 5:24 pm 
DVF Member
DVF Member

I don't mind paying my way as long as its not too excessive(which it doesn't sound like it will be). So you can count me in! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 5:26 pm 
DVF Member
DVF Member

Also will there be any preference to people that have paid when it comes to us having a big turn out(over 16 wanting to play)? Or will we keep it simply 1st come 1st served?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:12 pm 
DVF Member
DVF Member

Hmmm thats a tricky one, my current understanding is that the -=DVF=- are not a proper clan in the sense of it was an attempt to avoid all the elitism that exists in the other clans (peckin orders)...

That said, I do think Sput/Mac would be justified in reserving spaces for the paying members. I think this can be achieved using AdminMod (starting to sound a bit too pro-adminmod now! :) ), but it might give the server a bad name if people start getting kicked for no reason other than to let a payed up -=DVF=- member on...

There again.. it would be our server, but what use is a server with no players other than -=DVF=- ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:16 pm 
DVF Long Member
DVF Long Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:25 pm 
DVF Member
DVF Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:32 pm 
DVF Member
DVF Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:33 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Wow, so many posts!!! I would just like the ability to change maps and kick people. I am fed of going into servers and having to leave coz of obvious cheats. I just like the idea of having access to all the custom maps its so hard to find nowadays. Assault 2k, Predator, Airninja etc.... I like all the default settings, bomb timer, hostage penalty and so on, so they would not bother me, just map change and kicking. :):)
(only when public are playing tho)

jamie

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: jamie on 2001-11-13 18:38 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:39 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

That's one thing I'm not 100% sure how to do: remotely stick the password on (i.e. get everyone outta there) ... or, for that matter, put the password on during a game :confused: No doubt Jolt would tell us and it'd be easy to find out though :)

But yes ... maybe we should even think about 18 player server (£195) or 20 (£225) if we get enough people paying? I dunno, maybe not :) Wo don't want to waste money.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:48 pm 
DVF Member
DVF Member

Heyup lads,

I've been otherwise engaged with personal probs for the last week or so, so I've only just noticed this thread.

It all sounds a great idea, I'm not sure how many people you need but I can happily put my name down and I'll have a word with Paul as well as he's always up for a game and I'm sure he'd be interested also.

CS is always fun but recently its been losing its appeal due to the cheating happening on public servers.

I aint too fussed about admin powers so long as I can boot cheaters and change maps etc if no one else is around to do it.

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: -=DVF=- Cluderi on 2001-11-13 18:51 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 7:16 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

I'm 98% sure I can set up different Admin Menus for each of us. We could all have rcon access, (but unenforced rules suggest some don't fiddle with some parts ;)) But if we have different menu's, where the lower group has Kick and Change Map buttons etc, and only the top group or two has all of the features. That might be a good idea, I'll get to work on that once we've got a definite server.

Although this'll only work (well not only, but it'd save a bit of work ;) ) if noone uses the Command Menu currently? Anyone know what it is? :p I know I don't :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next