[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
-=DVF=- Gaming Community • View topic - More map making questions ... ?
-=DVF=- Gaming Community
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: More map making questions ... ?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:55 am 
DVF Member
DVF Member

Post subject: Re: More map making questions ... ?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:58 am 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:38 am 
DVF Moderator
DVF Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:03 pm 

Is this a typical time to compile maps ?

Every one is different, so there's not really a typical time. Does very much depend on the spec of your computer too. I noticed when I got an Athlon XP over the Duron I had I got a big increase in the time it took to do the lighting and VIS, because of the extensions this had.

There are quite a few options that you play around with if you want to try and decrease the time it takes. Look in the ZHLTReference.html file for all the switches you can use.

Is there a way to compile with all lighting disabled (but with normal 'daylight' like it does before you start adding lights ?)
- so I can test structures/layouts, etc without having to wait ages ?

Just don't inculde RAD when you compile. Think it's just a tickbox in Hammer, but really if compiles are running slowly, you would be better using batch files as this would let you close Hammer down and free up the memory which this uses to devote to compiling.

The r_speeds on the map currently range from 60 to about 850 according to where you are - is this OK ? Think I heard somewhere that you should aim to keep them below 800.

It's hard to tell when you start, as you if you do a basic compile with HLCSG and HLBSP, the engine is still having to render the whole map when you run it. It's not until you do a full VIS that you can get a true impression on how well it's gonna run.

Figures in the 1-3000s can be okay at the stage you're at. Best thing you can do is just build it as neatly and simply as possible, then do a full VIS and see what speeds you getting, then think where you can make improvements (or if you're lucky add extra bits).

Acceptable values for finished ones. In the past in was suggested 300-800, but it's probably okay to go up to about 1000 today on most peoples computers. Also depends on the areas themselves - a central area which is gonna see a lot a action should ideally be kept as low as possible, while spawn areas which are only used once are not as important.

It's worthwhile running round some of the official maps with r_speeds on and seeing what they are like. Just don't run round sanjuan like that. ;) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:09 pm 
DVF Member
DVF Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:48 pm 

I tried another map making effort yesterday (made one crap arch and gave up) :rolleyes: :p

The official CS site has the requirements for the different maps that are an idea. Anyone know how to start making a map btw? (something I struggle with :D )

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:49 am 
Forum Member
Forum Member

[quote="Machiavelli"]Is this a typical time to compile maps ?

Every one is different, so there's not really a typical time. Does very much depend on the spec of your computer too. I noticed when I got an Athlon XP over the Duron I had I got a big increase in the time it took to do the lighting and VIS, because of the extensions this had.

quote]

decrease? I hope anyway.

:p

I just turn off all the extra stuff just to see if it will compile, but then sometimes if I view in HL it crashes, but it seems helpful to do this regularly (without viewing in HL) to see if I have just screwed things up.

Free admin tool for counter-strike servers here:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:05 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:14 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:15 pm 
DVF Member
DVF Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:31 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:42 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:04 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Ahh I didn't know that. Nice, that's handy :thumbs: Same idea as the Big Block method, but you don't have to make a Big Block :lol:

I wonder if it would be sensible, then, to reduce the mapping area boundaries to the minimum necessary for the actual map space for a final compile to reduce something-or-other :? Worth doing in case I guess :) Probably make no difference though... Stop thinking aloud, Sput :-|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:21 am 
DVF Member
DVF Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:33 am 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:49 am 
DVF Member
DVF Member

Cheers Sput :clap:

TBH I've not really tried to use any of the clip or vertex manipulation tools so far - most of my maps have been built up from primary objects and the odd prefab (found a 'wicked' exploding microwave BTW :nuts: ).

Where I've needed 'holes' for doors & windows, etc I've just carved using a 'dummy' primary object...and then 'fiddled' around the edges :?

When I get some time I think I'm going to have to learn a bit more about vertex manipulation and clipping tools.

Then (armed with this knowledge) I'm going to re-create my map; more-or-less from scratch - keeping the current one as a reference point....
I reckon I can dramatically improve things by doing this.

:thumbs:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:06 pm 

I've never used the boundary tool tbh, never get far enough into making maps to use it! :? :lol: Just found it in the help file.

I made a fairly successful raised metal shack last night, but havent a clue how to extend the map and what to put in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:35 pm 
DVF Member
DVF Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:37 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:28 pm