[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
-=DVF=- Gaming Community • View topic - Projection Screen
-=DVF=- Gaming Community
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Projection Screen
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:24 pm 

Location: Frozen Food Section of Safeways and other Food Stores

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:47 pm 
Not an Admin
Not an Admin

Location: Underneath the archways of aerodynamics. That's a Pixies reference you know. To do with my name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:09 pm 

Have been looking on this site Woz:

What do you reckon to their prices and models?

BTW - thanks for the links especially to the Projector Mount :thumbs:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:05 pm 
Not an Admin
Not an Admin

Location: Underneath the archways of aerodynamics. That's a Pixies reference you know. To do with my name.
Their stuff is generally very well priced and their service is well regarded.
It's where my mate bought all his stuff. If you are anywhere near their shop you can demo the kit there. They also do a blown pixel test. If you go for an LCD pj, MAKE SURE YOU GET THIS! Especially if you buy from a shop that offers this test. If you DON'T get the test and they offer it, then you have a proportionately higher chance of getting a dud pixel as they have to pass the failed units on to someone! (The manufacturer have tolerances for how many dead pixels warrant a replacement...and it's generally a higher number than one!)

Like I said - personally I'm going to use DRH when I'm ready to buy again, as their prices are much cheaper than any competition I found (compare the price of the motorised screen I linked to, and see if you can find anything on the Nexnix site even close).
As far as the PJ goes - one limiting factor will be the available throw distance you have. Often it will narrow down your choice of projector considerably. I found the lens shift on the Sanyo I had to be extremely useful. Seriously...I saw the pain my mate had setting his up (which didn't have lens shift) and when I bought mine I was amazed how much easier it was.

There's a throw distance calculator somewhere... Edit : http://www.projectorcentral.com/project ... or-pro.cfm

Oh - and if you're thinking of getting a DLP projector it's really important to get a demo, and be extremely critical. Take along some test discs - I can see the rainbow effect and with current technology (unless it's moved on in LEAPS in the last year) there's no way I could tolerate a DLP projector. We demo'd an 8 grand DLP (not to buy - it happened to be set up in the demo room). The picture was truly out of this world, and had more depth than any other PJ I saw, but I could still see the rainbows. We demo'd it with one of the Star Wars movies, and the rainbows were particularly bad with the light sabres. Might be worth taking one of those movies along if you have them. It's the rapidly moving bright light that did it for me, and I found the rainbows really irritating. It gives some people headaches, which would be a pain if it affected someone else in your family.

Another edit :

If you're looking at LCD, try and get a demo and look carefully at expanses of clear blue sky...or possibly undersea stuff like Finding Nemo. Look out for what's called Vertical Banding. It exhibits itself as shimmering vertical lines down the screen. For me it was most obvious on blue, but that might be because you tend to get more expanses of blue in films than any other colour. I had this on my Z2, and it's a known issue with that PJ. I think I may have been able to reduce the effect of this by going with a digital delivery direct to the PJ, but at the time it was hard to get a DVD player with the correct output (DVI) and it would have required me to use an HTPC, which would have been a pain for the family to use. The Vertical Banding issue may have been resolved now, I'm not sure. But it's worth looking out for.

Oh - also, obviously, make sure that the PJ supports hidef, but I would be shocked if it didn't because the Z2 supported it and it's the old model now.
Bulb life - check on that...and the cost of replacements. But don't put too much weight on this unless you plan to use the pj for telly (I wouldn't advise it : they really don't work well for this).

Yet another edit :

You're going to find yourself concerned with room decor. Especially if you're planning on putting the pj in a living space and not a dedicated room. The light walls in my room above would cause some contrast problems with very bright scenes (like the snow scenes in Fargo). The light bounces off the pale walls and washes out the image on the screen.
It's still a very good image, but not as contrasty as you get with the dark scenes and it makes you wish you could paint the room matt black...until you want to invite friends around without them thinking your some sort of tragic teenage goth. It's possible to compromise, but we didn't want to as the room was primarily a living space, hence why I went to such lengths to conceal the screen and wiring. If you have a dedicated room for this, then no problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:46 am 

Woz, it gives db ratings for a lot of these projector models but can you give me an outline on how loud your projector is?

What is it comparable to? just as a guide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:11 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

well, 73 DB is very loud and 12 DB is very quiet. also depends on your noise floor level. (do you live near a busy road for instance....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:52 pm 
Not an Admin
Not an Admin

Bear in mind I don't have access to it anymore...

When set to low power lamp mode, it was extremely quiet. the PJ was just above our heads and it would really only be heard at all during almost silent sections of the film. Really not an issue at all to be honest, for me at least.

Edit...you wanted a comparison...well, it was a single smallish fan, but it's very hard to think of anything to compare it to. It's a similar volume to my pc, but my pc is a quiet one, so that doesn't help if yours is noisey!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:56 pm 

How about one of those hand held mini fans? is it comparable with that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:45 pm 
Not an Admin
Not an Admin

Yeah - not a bad anology.

All I can say is that fan noise was something that worried me before I got a projector, but in practice it was never a problem at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:37 pm 

Cheers Woz.