[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
-=DVF=- Gaming Community • View topic - cs_spent - early version if anyone wants to offer opinions
-=DVF=- Gaming Community
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: cs_spent - early version if anyone wants to offer opinions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:14 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

I'd be interested in any comments anyone might have on this very rough version of my latest map, please :)

Especially on layout (although note that there'll be much more cover and obstacles added, this is just the basic architecture), since I want to try and get this right this time - create a decentish CS arena that is reasonably interesting as well. Hossies will go where the big conference table is, and in the next-but-one room to this, by the half-open, texture-unaligned double doors. T spawn at the conference table and CT spawn /hossie rescue in the room with water (which I know needs work!)

And on textures perhaps, which are all custom (except for the doors, which I stole). Some are pretty roughly slapped on though.

But before I add more detail, i would be interested to hear any comments while I can happily change things around :)

The idea, by the way, was to do *my* cs_office (my fave map, not that I copy ideas :indiff: ), and something similar to as_officestorm and de_slit but better looking and less laggy respectively. And something smallish and simple. It's also going to have a Part 2 released with it, an es_ map in which CTs have to get back out again, which will be bigger :)

Click:

If anyone wants to have a quick look t'would be appreciated :) It's just the layout and basic look, remember :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:55 am 

yeah ill be happy to test it out :thumbs:

(btw, u know that es_maps objectives are the T's have to get out not CT's? or are u jst gonna say that the T's ARE the CT's...theyve jst changed clothes? ;) )

217.163.30.167:27015 - clan CSS server - http://www.cc-clan.co.uk/
::CC::

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:01 am 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Oh crap, I forgot that! :lol:

Umm, time for a rethink :D AS it'll have to be then :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:07 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:11 am 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:15 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:41 am 
DVF Member
DVF Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:29 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:35 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:41 pm 
DVF Member
DVF Member

As always Sput, the first thing that strikes me is it looks terrific.
- obviously its sparse and some textures are misaligned, but the textures themselves and the lighting is great.
I find it very hard to get general architecture and lighting to look subtle and 'right' ...damn you :p
(so much so, my next map is currently heading in completely the other direction ;) ).

I like the general layout and size of the map, there appear to be a number of ways to go, and similarly the terrorists have a number of viewpoints to monitor.

The slight separation of hostages should lead to choices from both sides; and when thinned down a team may well have to defend or try to rescue only one group. But they're still close enough to make the overall area defendable as a whole by a reasonable number of organised Ts (that's another lesson I've learned ;) ).

FWIW, a couple of ideas/suggestions from a quick run-about:

- An alternative way in to the hostages sounds good, although there are already quite a few entry points for the Ts to cover, so the alternative may be best as a 'high risk' possibility (e.g. exiting a vent, coming in through the ceiling, or maybe dropping onto a balcony outside one of the windows, although the latter would probably involve more structural change).

- Maybe vary the lighting a little more down the corridors, etc, so some areas offer more shadow to aid stealth. Maybe have one of the corridors looking like its's closed for cleaning/maintenance - complete with puddles on the floor and mal/non-functioning lighting.

- Although it may go against the subtlety of the design, making the various areas of the map easily identifiable would greatly aid gameplay. e.g. "I'm at the front-desk/computer-room/store-room/conference-room" - maybe use office-style door-plaques or signs.
I feel this often helps, rather than trying to describe "the corridor on the left-side" (the left side often being objective).

I'm sure you've considered most of this and the map's obviously incomplete, so just some suggestions based on first impressions.
Hope they're of some use.

Look forward to the next version
:thumbs:

Last edited by Wintermute on Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:19 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:35 am 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:49 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:40 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:49 pm 

models still count for r_speeds....but u dont have to make em out of several shapes, just faces....so some faces which would be there if it was made from polys would not be there if made from models (correct?) so thats an advantage.......also they dont "cut" other polys i assume???

whats the disadvantages......i aint used models much myself (so far out of the 3 pathetic maps ive made....have had 0 models in, but am trying to fiddle around with em a bit ;) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:03 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

There are loads of implications of using them, they're just completely different. If you use them you need to balance w and e polies, which can let you get loads more detail in a room at no lag/fps cost if you use them right, or make r_speeds shoot through the roof if you don't, since they're more likely to cause sudden lag than the gradual increase you get with piling on w_polies.

They can look better because of the different way they're rendered, but they can also look poor - for example the lighting is even all over a model, and low-poly models are liable to be twisted, pinched and bent by the engine.

They can let you use large textures in the map without them being included in the wad or world texture memory, but it's then easy to accidentally ruin a map by having too much texture memory taken up by the models, especially as each model uses a separate space of texture memory, even if the textures used by two models is the same.

Then there's the fact that they don't clip the player, so don't take up clip nodes if that's something you're having trouble with. But you do need to put clip brushes round them if the player can walk up to them.

And you can do fancy animations and effects with models, as well as have many different permutations and occurrences of the same model file around the map with relatively little extra resource usage.

There are loads of advantages and disadvantages :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:10 pm 

great map, excellent textures, but i was wondering, where do the hossies escape?

Peace V3 - Digitally remastered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:29 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin

Cheers. It's moved on a little bit since, but not really as much as I'd like at all :( I need to try and keep tinkering but I keep finding myself being busy :o

The hossie escape point would be at the elevator doors (room with the water), also the CT spawn. I might put an extra one in, but probably not - just have one on each of the main entrances to this room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:33 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:34 pm 
DVF Admin
DVF Admin